For the first time ever, a paralyzed man can move his fingers and hand with his own thoughts thanks to a new device. A 23-year-old quadriplegic is the first patient to use Neurobridge, an electronic neural bypass for spinal cord injuries that reconnects the brain directly to muscles, allowing voluntary and functional control of a paralyzed limb.
w h a t
"The surgery required the precise implantation of the micro-chip sensor in the area of Ian’s brain that controls his arm and hand movements,” Rezai said.
" … Battelle also developed a non-invasive neurostimulation technology in the form of a wearable sleeve that allows for precise activation of small muscle segments in the arm to enable individual finger movement, along with software that forms a ‘virtual spinal cord’ to allow for coordination of dynamic hand and wrist movements.
"The Ohio State and Battelle teams worked together to figure out the correct sequence of electrodes to stimulate to allow Burkhart to move his fingers and hand functionally. For example, Burkhart uses different brain signals and muscles to rotate his hand, make a fist or pinch his fingers together to grasp an object, Mysiw said. As part of the study, Burkhart worked for months using the electrode sleeve to stimulate his forearm to rebuild his atrophied muscles so they would be more responsive to the electric stimulation.”
Normally I don’t bold for emphasis in this way, but oh my god, would you look at that? An implanted chip broadcasts to a computer which interprets and activates electrodes causing precise muscle movements "within a tenth of a second".
- Donate money to have those arrested in Ferguson released on bail. These people belong on the streets, especially at a time like this.
- Send a note of condolence to the family of Michael Brown. Let’s not forget the tragedy that started this.
- Donate to the Michael Brown Memorial Fund. This is an official fundraiser run by the Brown family’s lawyers. They are going through so much, lets make sure at the very least it isn’t a financial burden.
- Help get people on the ground. There are activists and reporters who want to do their part and get to Ferguson. Donate and get them there. I am so far aware of Zellie Imani, Zak Jemmott, and JR Valrey (a reporter for SF Bay View).
- Donate to the Ferguson Youth Initiative.The children of this community deserve better than to be gunned down. Make sure they get that in the future.
- Feed the children of Ferguson. Many children in America rely on school to get their meals and thanks to the civil unrest caused by the police, the children of Ferguson have been without school since Monday. These people want to make sure that doesn’t mean anyone is going hungry.
- Find a National Moment of Silence in your area. If one doesn’t exist, start one. Share this experience with others. Solidarity is important.
- Keep awareness up. Not just among the like-minded people on tumblr, this is something everyone needs to be aware of.
- Spread accurate information. There is a lot of distortion going on here and spreading every piece of information as it is reported only makes that worse. First and foremost make sure you are listening carefully, then share what is important and relevant.
If you are aware of any good causes or ways to help that I have missed, please reblog and add them.
It scares me that The Onion is becoming consistently more factually correct than the “legitimate” media.
The Ferguson PD has successfully reframed the conversation to be about a robbery, but remember, Darren Wilson didn’t know about any robbery when he stopped Mike Brown. That means he didn’t even get shot over [edit for accuracy: “a $48.99 box of cigars”]. He got shot for jaywalking.
What do french people call a really bad thursday?
update: if you tell this joke to someone living in france they will refuse to look at you
Life hack on how to travel peacefully in France: Tell this joke to everyone you meet.
Via I fucking love science!
Tiny Hwaaa used to eat off placemats with science infographics printed on them. Pretty sure cumulonimbus entered my vocabulary before Monica Lewinsky did.
this is literally the greatest subtitling job that has ever been done. someone learned how to speak cat.
gps: *says something*
everyone in car: *mocks gps pronunciation*
no one in car: *takes gps’ directions*
half an hour later: *lost as fuck*
My phone’s GPS literally switches mid-sentence between British English and American English.
…So I just unfollowed about 50 blogs. This has nothing to do with the blog’s general value to Society As A Whole, and everything to do with maximizing my cognitive discomfort for my own good.
I used to lie way far on the T (thinking) side of Myers-Briggs typology. Then I joined Tumblr and went through a huge F (feeling) swing that accompanied immense growth (i.e., a giant-ass slice of humble pie).
I don’t want to grieve for that proud, “curious because knowing is possible" part of me. I want it back. I’m just having trouble believing I’m capable of this, or that this is a worthy endeavor and not a regression into inauthentic and/or misplaced priorities. I used to idolize objectivity, and then I found myself demonizing it. Finding equilibrium feels like a pipe dream… unless I take deliberate steps to cultivate it.
If Tumblr’s gonna be my primary source for brain-food, I might as well make that food nutritious.
Breaking hiatus for a hot second, because goddamn.